Please phone before calling as hours, etc., may change. We try to keep the list as up to date and accurate as possible, but if you are aware of any changes please let us know. If you hear of a restaurant to add to the list, you have a restaurant review you would like to share, or you run a vegetarian restaurant and would like to give a bit more information, please also get in touch!
- NAN HUA TEMPLE - Nan Hua Road, Cultura Park, Bronkhorstspruit - Tel: 013-931-0009
Vegetarian Buffet Lunch only on Sundays at 12h00. Restaurant open every day from 09h00 to 16h00.
- ADDIS IN CAPE ETHIOPIAN RESTAURANT, 41, Church Street, Corner of Long Street, Cape Town 8001 – Telephone: 021-424-5722. Open Mondays to Saturday - Lunch 12h00 – 14h30 – Dinner 18h00 – 23h00. Separate Vegetarian Menu which has no animal products such as fat. Liquor licence. Situated close to Green Market Square, Church street antique shops and Market.
- ANNAPURNA Indian restaurant in Canal Walk, Century City, Telephone: 021- 555-3595. Vegan curries and a half dozen Vegetarian Options.
- HEALTH CAFÉ – Unity House, 161 Longmarket Street, Cor. Long, Cape Town – Open Mon-Fri 08h00 -17h00, Sat 09h00 - 15h00. Sun closed. Tel: 021-424-6560. Almost Vegetarian.
- JEWEL OF INDIA - Victoria Wharf, V&A Waterfront . Tel: 021-419-8397 – Open seven days a week from 12h00 to 22h00. Half of their meals are vegetarian. Licensed.
- GOVINDA'S NATURAL FOOD CAFÉ - 17 St. Andrews Street, Rondebosch –Tel: 021-685-6804 - Open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 11am to 6pm. Situated at The Hare Krishna Centre, opposite the railway station. They serve mainly lacto vegetarian meals with some vegan items available.On Tuesdays and Thursdays they have a special ‘Yoga and Supper’ deal starting at 6.30pm for R60 per person. For supper bookings please phone 076 112 2915.
- LOLA’S - 228 Long Street – 021-423-0885
- MANGOES – Claremont – Lower Mall, Cavendish Square, Cavendish Street, Claremont, Cape Town. Open Mon-Thurs 09h00 to 23h00; Fri and Sat 09h00 to 12.30pm; Sun 09h00 to 23h30 Tel (021) 674-1350. Licensed.
- PORTOBELLO CAFÉ - 111 Long Street. Telephone: 021-426-1418. Vegetarian/Vegan friendly. Lunch buffet. Close 17h00. Credit cards accepted.
- ROYALE EATERY - 273 Long Street. Telephone: 021-422-4536. Royale Eatery 12h00 to 23h.30. Royale kitchen from 19h00 to 23h00. Vegetarian friendly. Licensed.
- SAGE ORGANIC CAFÉ – 117, Hatfield Street (at Orange, in Western Cape Town). Telephone: 021-461-7868. Open Mondays to Fridays from 08h00 to 16h00. Organic lunch buffet from 12h00. Vegan choices available. Licensed for beer/wine. Credit cards accepted.
- SHAMBALA – 134 Long Street, Cape Town (between Wale & Dorp Streets)
- SOPHEA GALLERY AND TIBETAN TEAHOUSE - 2, Harrington Road, Seaforth, Simon's Town, 7975. Telephone: 021-786-1544. Open: Tuesdays to Sundays from 10h00 to 17h00. Closed Mondays. 100% vegetarian. Vegan choices available such as vegan chocolate cake. Situated near Boursders Beach (Penguins) and Cape Point. No liquor license (bring your own).
- VANILLA CAFÉ - 117 Hatfield Street. Telephone: 021-461-7868
- YINDEES (THAI) 22 Camp Street cor. Kloof Nek Road 021 422-1012 (has vegetarian/vegan options for all their main dishes)
- GOVINDAS, a pure vegetarian restaurant and snack bar that serves a variety of delicacies, is situated at The Temple of Understanding. Open Daily: 10h00 – 20h30 – Telephone – 031-403-3328. The Temple of Understanding: The Hare Krishna movement in South Africa has as its focus this wonderful temple with its soaring spires and surrounding moat. It is situated at 50 Bhaktivedantawami Circle in Chatsworth, near the Higginson Highway (M1). A must see. There are guided tours.
- FRUITS AND ROOTS – Bryanston – Shop G13 Hobart Corner, Cor Grosvenor & Hobart Roads, – Tel: 011-463-2928 – Open – Mon to Fri 09h00 – 18h00 – Sat 09h00 – 16h00 – Sundays Closed. The restaurant caters for vegan, lacto-vegetarian and lacto-ovo vegetarians. No sugar, all cold-pressed oils, mostly organic, all wholefoods mostly gluten free. Great wholefood product section. Situated close to Montecasino, as well as the Organic Village Market which is 1,5km away.
- FRUITS AND ROOTS – Emmarentia – 103 Komati Road – Tel: 011-646-4404 – Open – Mon to Fri 08h00 – 18h00 – Sat 08h00 – 16h00 – Sundays Closed. Situated close to the Botanical Gardens.
- GREENLANDS – Parkview – 61 Dundalk Avenue, Cor. Roscommon Road, Parkview Tel: 011-486-3361 – Open – Mon to Fri 07h30 – 18h00 – Sat 07h30 – 16h00 – Sundays Closed. Daily buffet. Wholefood product section. Play area for the children. Situated near the Zoo Lake.
- HARE KRISHNA - 7971 Capricorn Street, at entrance on Nirvana Drive, Ext 9, Lenasia – Telephone: 011-854-1975. Open from Monday to Saturday from 11h00 to 20h00. Closed Sundays. Completely Vegetarian – 95% Vegan.
- KAPILA'S - Shop 32, 2nd Avenue, Melville. Telephone: 011 482-7527. Pure vegetarian takeaway
- MICHAEL MOUNT ORGANIC MARKET – Culross Road, Bryanston – Tel: 706-3671 - Open every Thursday 09h00 to 13h00 & Saturday 09h00 to 14h00. Vegetarian options.
- SHAYONA – Church Street, Corner 7th Avenue, Mayfair, Johannesburg. Telephone: 011-837-2407. Lacto Vegetarian – (no onions, garlic, eggs) Fast food, readymade snacks, weekend specials. Vegan friendly. Credit cards accepted.
- SINCERE CHINESE RESTAURANT - large and exotic vegan/vegetarian menu - Northcliff shopping centre, cnr. Beyers Naude & Milner Road, Northcliff. Tel: 011-888-8833 – Open 11h30-14h30 and 18h00 -22h30. Closed on Mondays. Separate vegetarian menu – more than fifty dishes. Liquor Licence.
- ILE DE PAIN – Thesen Harbour Town. European style bakery and café. Open for breakfast, lunch, pastries. Some of the bread is allowed to rise for 36 hours. They bake in a wood-burning oven.) Tel: 044-302-5707. Open Tuesdays-Fridays 7am to 5pm – Saturdays 7am to 3pm – Sundays 9am – 1.30pm. Closed in August. Vegetarian options.
- SATURDAY MORNING MARKET – Vegetarian options - Ile De Pain bread stall.
- FRUITTI NUTTI – 20 Kruger Avenue Vereeniging – Tel: (016) 422-3421. Open from Mon to Fri 08h00 to 17h00 Sat from 08h00 to 13h00. Closed Sun.