Bananas are a miracle fruit. And did you know that bananas don’t grow on trees but rather on the largest herb on earth - musa sapientium. Bananas are available all year round and are one of the most popular fruits on earth. But bananas don’t just taste good they are jam-packed full of goodness too. So here are a few extra reasons to reach for a banana…
1. All the potassium and glucose give the body an energy boost. The glucose in bananas is easily digested and quickly restores blood sugar levels.
2. The high levels of potassium also help reduce high blood pressure and appear to counteract bone mass decay in people who eat high salt diets.
3. Eat a banana when you’re feeling premenstrual or just plain grumpy. Bananas are high in the B-complex vitamins, which are known to have a calming effect on the nervous system. Bananas also contain tryptophan, a protein that converts to the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin is instrumental in facilitating relaxation and general happiness. Low levels of serotonin are believed to cause mood disorders including depression.
4. Bananas are a great cure for heartburn. It does this by neutralising the stomach acids. Because of its soft texture, bananas can be eaten without distress to an ulcer as it reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach. It also helps pregnant women who have morning sickness.
5. Bananas are packed with vitamin C which strengthens your immune system and provides you with a pick-me-up when you are feeling a little down.
6. Because of its high iron content, bananas help the body ward off anemia by promoting hemoglobin production.
7. The inside of a banana peel has surprising properties. Rubbing the inside of peels on mosquito bites reduces swelling and irritation and helps get rid of warts.
8. According to The New England Journal of Medicine, by adding a banana to your diet you can reduce the risk of death by stroke by as much as 40%.
9. Got a hangover? Try a banana and honey milkshake. The banana calms the stomach and builds up depleted blood sugar levels.
10. If you’re feeling a little clogged up, eat a banana. They are full of fibre and will help to get your digestive system back on track.
|< Prev||Next >|